Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Justify Yo'self.

Being asked to explain myself as a young artist is somewhat of a tricky thing for me, because I believe that most peoples' reasoning for pursuing art rather than math, sciences, or other "core academics" in upper level education/life is more emotional and abstract than concrete. If someone genuinely enjoys doing something, they, in most cases, make an effort to invest themselves in it before career opportunities really come into consideration. If they don't, perhaps they're running away from themselves. It starts simply in the search for personal happiness - to work intensively on creating something, find great pleasure in doing so, and wind up, after all is said and done, with a finished product that one can feel proud of - a physical, aesthetically or emotionally pleasing object that mirrors the creator's ideas or feelings.

Personally, I use my art as a sort of means for catharsis. My emotions need to be funneled into something - put to use and allowed to escape - lest they sit stagnant and uncomfortable. The release of working on a drawing, painting, animation, object, or piece of music keeps me in check as a person and makes me feel better about things - more sane, even - and accomplished when I have something to show, in the end. It also gives me a means to convey ideas that I have in an abstract way, without having to use words - without having to directly explain to someone exactly what I mean or think. Being ambiguous and leaving things open to interpretation, the way I see it, is an interestingly effective way to get points across, because, upon analysis, if you're subtle in all the right ways and places, the viewer will feel as if they are his own interpretations. Often they are. And the beauty of art is that it is a fluid, amorphous thing that the audience can take in any way they choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment