Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Justify your existence. How do you justify what you do?

This is a heavy question that I’m not quite sure how to answer. I do art because art feels right. It’s something I’ve done, it’s something I’m pretty okay at and it gives me pleasure. Can it be as simple as that?

I enjoy exploring emotions through visual images. I like challenging myself with different mediums. I like expressing myself in my own way, without using words someone else came up with like “serotonin and dopamine have been released into my synapses and caused this happy feeling” or “based on Freudian psychology, this anger and frustration is from deep set penis envy”. Besides, I’m not good at using words and art fills in that gap for me. Art is my translator.

It was a hobby and I’m trying to make it a career. I want to do what I love; fuck the rest, and all that jazz. Here’s my art. Imagine what I was thinking while drawing this. I was probably hitting my head against the wall. But, I just created something. It feels awesome to create or change something into another something. Take this sheet of paper. Make something beautiful or ugly, but it’s no longer the same sheet of paper.

I do art. It’s like breathing. How does one justify breathing other than to live?

No comments:

Post a Comment